Remember that assigned textbook readings should be supplemental to reviewing & studying the Powerpoint presentations. Answers to these study guide questions can be obtained from the textbook chapters, powerpoint presentations, as well as class lectures & in-class activities.
Chapter 45: Management of Patients with Oral & Esophageal Disorders (p. 1283-1284)
Conditions to Know: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
1. What is GERD?
2. What are some risk factors for the development of GERD?
3. What are some common signs and symptoms of GERD?
4. What are some teaching points we would want to include in our patient education regarding dietary & lifestyle changes needed for the management of GERD?
5. Describe the various classes of medications that are used to treat patients with GERD. Include medication class, mechanism of action, patient teaching points, & any nursing implications. See Table 45-2.
Chapter 46: Management of Patients with Gastric & Duodenal Ulcers (p. 1296-1303)
Conditions to Know: Peptic Ulcer Disease (PUD)
1. What is a peptic ulcer and how does it form?
2. What are some causes of peptic ulcers?
3. What are some signs and symptoms of peptic ulcers?
4. Compare and contrast the findings seen with patients presenting with gastric versus duodenal ulcers.
5. What are some teaching points we would want to include in our patient education regarding the lifestyle changes needed for management of PUD?
6. Describe the medications that are used in “triple therapy” for patients diagnosed with PUD due to H. pylori bacteria. See Table 46-3. Apart from these 3 medication classes, what additional med classes may also be prescribed for patients with PUD?
7. What is the most severe complication of PUD? What are some clinical manifestations of this condition?
Chapter 47: Management of Patients with Intestinal & Rectal Disorders (p. 1312-1316 & p. 1327-1336)
Conditions to Know: Constipation, Diarrhea, Intestinal (Bowel) Obstruction, IBD – Crohn’s Disease & Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
1. How is constipation defined?
2. What are some causes of constipation?
3. What are some signs & symptoms of constipation?
4. What are some teaching points you would want to include in your patient teaching regarding the prevention and/or management of patients with constipation? See Chart 47-2.
5. How is diarrhea defined and how can it be classified?
6. What are some signs & symptoms of diarrhea?
7. What are some potential complications of diarrhea? What is the nurse’s role in helping to prevent or treat these complications?
8. What are some teaching points you would want to include in your patient teaching regarding the prevention and/or management of patients with diarrhea?
9. How does an intestinal obstruction occur and what are the two main types of obstructions?
10. What are some signs and symptoms of a bowel obstruction?
11. Describe the nursing care that is needed for a patient with a bowel obstruction.
12. What is ulcerative colitis (UC)?
13. What are some signs and symptoms of UC?
14. What is Crohn’s disease?
15. What are some signs & symptoms of Crohn’s disease?
16. What medications (classes) are used to treat UC & Crohn’s disease?
17. Describe the nursing care that is needed for patients with UC or Crohn’s disease.