Week 4 – History of Religious Oppression
Choose one time period and discuss the history of religious oppression.
- Roman Imperial Period vs. Christianity (60 CE – 310 CE)
- Christian oppression of pagans in Roman World (395 CE -476 CE)
- The Crusades (12th century – 1100s)
- Salem Witch Trials – Massachusetts (1692-1693)
- Expulsion of the Jews and Muslims from Spain (1490-1493)
- Anti-Semitism in Medieval Spain, France, England, Italy, Germany (choose one country only – 800-1392)
- Romans versus Jews (20-200 CE)
- Catholics vs. Huguenots in France (16th-17th centuries – 1500s-1600s)
- Philadelphia Anti-Catholic Riot (1844)
- Rohingya persecution Myanmar (2016-2018)
- Kosovo Ethnic cleansing (1998-1999)
- Rwanda Genocide (1994)
- Muslim persecution in India (1954-1982)
- Ottoman Persecution of Alevis (1481-1826)
- Any of your choice with professor approval
Answer the following questions in numerical format (#1-5). 2-3 pages. MLA format. 12 Font Times New Roman only.
All work must be properly cited and unless otherwise noted; do not include pure opinion.
- Outline the basic history of the event(s). You can use a timeline or write it out.
- Briefly describe the two opposing religions basic tenets.
- How did the different beliefs, values and attitudes of the cultures add to the oppression?
- How did the outcome of the conflict influence modern American ideas, beliefs and values?
- Opinion – why do you think religion played such a major role in these conflicts?