NURS 6501 WK 10 ASSIGNMENT. NURS 6501N ASSIGNMENT 2
Application: The Pathophysiology of Disorders
During the last 5 weeks, you have explored various body systems: neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, and hematological. These four systems work together along with other body systems to complete a myriad of functions. For this reason, when disorders occur within one body system, it can create potentially devastating effects throughout the entire body. For instance, Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the central nervous system, yet its alterations actually affect multiple body systems from the cardiovascular system to the gastrointestinal system. In this Assignment, you examine alterations associated with disorders, as well as the impact of the alterations on multiple body systems.
- From the list below, select a disorder of interest to you:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Asthma in children
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Congestive heart failure
- Hepatic disease (liver disease)
- Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
- Identify alterations associated with your selected disorder. Consider the pathophysiology of the alterations. Think about how these alterations produce pathophysiological changes in at least two body systems.
- Reflect on how patient factors such as genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you identified, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of your selected disorder.
- Review the “Mind maps—Dementia, Endocarditis, and Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)” media in the Week 2 Learning Resources. Use the examples in the media as a guide to construct a mind map for the disorder you selected. Consider the epidemiology and clinical presentation of your selected disorder.
To complete: USE 3 OR MORE CREDIBLE ,CURRENT RESOURCES, PLUS ASSIGNED READING AND MEDIA
Develop a 6 slide PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
- Describe your selected disorder, as well as associated alterations. Explain the pathophysiology of the alterations, including changes that occur in at least two body systems.
- Explain how genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you identified, as well as diagnosis and treatment of your selected disorder.
- Construct a mind map for the disorder you selected. Include the epidemiology, pathophysiology of alterations, risk factors, and clinical presentation, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of the disorder.
- Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012). Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
Chapter 33, “Structure and Function of the Digestive System
Chapter 35, “Alterations of Digestive Function in Children.
- Zimbron, J. (2008). Mind maps—Dementia, endocarditis, and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD) [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.medmaps.co.uk/beta/
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. [Image]. Used with permission of MedMaps.
This media provides examples of mind maps for dementia, endocarditis, and gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GERD
- Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012c). The gastrointestinal system. Baltimore, MD: Author