Opening Dialogue Essay.
Debates about abortion, same-sex marriage, legalization of recreational marijuana, transgender rights, health care, and other human rights issues have had profound impacts on our culture and society. Some might say the United States is a country more divided than united. In a 3-4-page essay write about how best to have these difficult conversations in a way that community-building is paramount. How we interact with one anotherespecially in the workplaceimpacts organizational morale. You will need to consider how to handle difficult conversations in the workplace.
- Choose a topic that is timely, relevant, and controversial (feel free to choose a topic listed above, or come up with one on your own).
- Carefully present your opinion of the issue in a way that is intellectually engaged (in other words, cite scholarly research backing up your position).
- Then consider the other side of the coin about the issue and offer a way for both sides to have a respectful discussion.
- This is an assignment for debate (not argument) and it will be your goal to present your opinion in a way that drives healthy and respectful reflection about how to handle these difficulties in the workplace.
A tip about going forward: Strive to learn and understand how someone who disagrees with you thinks about the issue. Remember to also consider how the distribution of political power affect the opinions of people who are under-represented regarding race/ethnicity, class and gender.
- Write a 3-4-page paper or about 1500 words, not including the title and reference pages, which are required.
- Your paper must be properly cited and formatted according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA (Links to an external site.).