Unit 4 Human Resources management. Multiple Choice Questions (Enter your answers on the enclosed answer sheet)
1. The principles of conduct governing an individual or a group are referred to as . a. judgments
b. ethics c. norms d. laws
2. Procedural justice refers to the .
a. degree to which managers treat employees with dignity as opposed to abuse or disrespect
b. fairness of the process used to arrive at a decision
c. manner in which managers conduct their interpersonal dealings with employees d. fairness of a decision’s result
3. The Enron debacle, “It’s not the rules but what employees feel they should do that determines ethical behavior,” is a description of .
a. national culture
b. organizational culture c. organizational climate d. organizational ethics
4. The CEO of Southwest Airlines can sometimes be seen helping out at a gate, handling luggage, and assisting cabin attendants while in flight. This is an example of to create and sustain the company’s culture.
a. organizing ceremonies
b. providing physical support c. using signs and symbols
d. clarifying expectations
5. All of the following is a step in discipline without punishment except:
a. if no further incidents purge the one-day suspension from the file b. contact others involved
c. give a paid, one-day “decision-making leave”
d. None of the above.
6. The most drastic step a manager can take in response to an employee offense is . a. dismissal
b. time off without pay c. written warning
BAM 411 Human Resource Management
Unit 4 Examination
BAM 411 Human Resource Management
Unit 4 Examination
d. warning documented in employee file
7. Which of the basis for dismissal is defined as the persistent failure to perform assigned duties or to meet prescribed standards on the job?
b. changed requirements of job c. unsatisfactory performance
d. lack of qualifications for job
8. Misconduct, one of the basis for dismissal, is defined as .
a. an employee’s inability to do the work assigned because the nature of the job has changed
b. an employee’s inability to do the assigned work despite his or her diligence
c. the deliberate and willful violation of the employer’s rules and may include stealing and insubordination
d. the persistent failure to perform assigned duties or to meet prescribed standards on the job
9. What law requires that employers of 100 or more employees receive 60 days’ notice before closing a facility or starting a layoff of 50 people or more?
a. Electronic Communications Privacy Act b. ERISA
c. Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act d. COBRA
10. The plant closing law requires employers with or more employees to give advance notification prior to closing a facility.
a. 150 b. 25 c. 50 d. 100
11. What is the second step in the guidelines for an effective termination interview?
a. plan the interview carefully b. get to the point
c. describe the situation d. listen
12. The shop form of union security means that the company can hire non-union people, but those people must join the union within a prescribed period of time.
a. union b. open c. closed
13. In what year was the Wagner Act passed?
a. 1886 b. 1935 c. 1947 d. 1932
14. Which law gave employers the right to express their views concerning union organization?
a. Gompers Act
b. Landrum-Griffin Act c. Taft-Hartley Act
d. Norris-LaGuardia Act
15. is an organizing tactic by which full-time undercover union organizers are hired unknowingly by employers in order to sway union elections.
a. Union salting b. Infiltration
16. All of the following are examples of permissible bargaining items except:
a. overtime pay
b. use of union label c. indemnity bonds d. cafeteria prices
17. Illegal bargaining items are .
a. items which must be negotiated according to law
b. a part of negotiations through joint agreement of both management and union c. forbidden by law
d. All of the above.
18. Fact finding seeks to end an impasse by .
a. communicating assessments of the likelihood of a strike b. interpreting existing contract terms
c. studying the issue in a dispute and making a public recommendation d. assisting the principals in reaching an agreement
19. Employers dealing with an unfair labor practice strike can use all of the following responses except:
a. shut down the affected area until the strike ends b. hire permanent replacement workers
c. contract out work to other operations
d. continue operations with supervisors filling in
20. Which of the following is not a basis for reducing and preventing accidents at work?
a. reducing unsafe conditions b. training employees
c. reducing unsafe acts
d. hiring non-accident-prone workers
21. Which of the following is one of the earliest indicators of possible alcoholism in an employee?
c. avoidance of fellow employees d. domestic problems
22. A drug-free workplace program includes how many components?
a. 3 b. 4 c. 6 d. 5
23. All of the following are symptoms of employees in the middle stage of alcoholism except:
b. untrue statements c. frequent absences d. mood swings
24. Which of the following is an external factor that can lead to job stress?
a. workaholic personality b. pessimism
c. job security
d. locus of control
25. Which of the following safety concerns only became a top priority of employers following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001?
a. internet security
b. physical asset security c. workplace violence
d. employee selection and screening
Writing Assignment for Unit Four
• Include your name, student number, course number, course title and unit number with your writing assignment.
• Begin each writing assignment by identifying the question number you are answering followed by the actual question itself (in bold type).
• Use a standard essay format for responses to all questions (i.e., an introduction, middle paragraphs and conclusion).